He Said / She Said #2

He said / She said
Tales of Man vs Woman !

Welcome back to #2 in our new series of ‘He Said / She Said’. We got such an amazing reaction to the first post in the series, thank you for all the comments. We are even happier to say, it was selected as one (of two) #BigPinkLink 22 ‘Wow of the Week‘ blog – happy days!

So strap yourself in, this shit’s about to get real 🙂

Nutshell version:

This story revolves around the time when Mel found out she was pregnant with Nip#1 in 2011, how she told me and the importance a number of presents had on it all.

Man from MarsHe Said:

We were lucky enough to have been in Germany to watch the Formula 1 in the Nurburgring, just me & The Missus. The Missus got the trip for me as a Christmas present the year before. To say it was the best sporting event I’ve ever attended would be an understatement, we had some serious crack at it and boy did we drink.

While there, I really liked the Red Bull jacket. It was class. It was fucking expensive is what it was. In the days of no nips, every penny (on this trip anyway) went on getting pissed, having a buzz and watching the F1 (hehe, in that order too might I add!). So we decided as much as I liked the jacket, it was too much cash to part with. Case closed. Back to the F1 and the jacket was well forgotten about after a few pints.

So moving forward a wee bit and we’re back home. One morning I was driving to work when I got a call from The Missus asking how far I’d gotten. Turns out I was only around the corner really so I pulled into the nearest petrol station and waited. The Missus arrives and gives me a decent sized box and says ‘Surprise‘!! She only gone online and bought the Red Bull jacket – bloody hell I thought, this is C-L-A-S-S. ‘Jaysus, I’ll keep you I said :-)’ & off to work I trot happy as a pig in shit.

So a few days later, I’m in the office and it’s mid afternoon ish. I’ve the Missus on Skype and we’re chatting. ‘Can you come home early?’ she says, ‘I’ve a surprise for you’. ‘Sure’, I reply, ‘home soon’. But internally I was freaking out thinking, ‘Balls, Balls, Balls….it’s my turn to buy a present, not The Missus. Quick, think, think FFS!’

So after racking me brains, what did I buy? …. A big oul bunch of lovely flowers…… Sure everyone loves a big oul bunch of lovely flowers. Yeah. Good man. That’ll do. Job done. Let’s go home now and surprise the Missus, sure she’ll love them. Happy days.

So when I got in, I ran upstairs with the flowers behind my back and before The Missus even drew breath, I yelled, ‘Surprise !!!! and voila, a big oul bunch of lovely flowers‘ (mental box check, ticked!!). And then I go (cooler than a bucket of ice), ‘So you had something to tell me?!‘  to which the Missus goes as she sits forward with a massive smile on her face. ‘I’ve something for you, but it won’t be here until the end of April?‘ …. Now, I’m on my knees in front of her and in my head all I’m thinking is ‘Shite, what Grand Prix is on next May?, Christ, she’s gone and bought more tickets – Yaaaaaahhhh-Hooooooo baby‘ … yeah, then the penny dropped 🙂

‘No??!! You’re not??!! You are??!! Really???!!! Yeah Baby Yeaaaaaaahhhhhhhh!!!!….. and she said ‘I’m pregnant, you’re going to be a Daddy, I’m going to be a Mammy, we’re going to be a family’. My heart beat went through the roof, I got the shakes and with a massive smile on my face I just let out a massive ‘Yaaaaahhh-Hooooooooo’ at the top of my lungs and gave The Missus the biggest hug & kiss ever.

After a few mins, I said, ‘So did ya get more F1 tickets na?!

Not feckin likely trout!

VS:

She said: Woman from Venus

So the way I found out I was pregnant was kinda funny – see I wasn’t really expecting it. I was out to lunch with a friend from work and I was telling her how I was exercising a lot but not shifting any kilos and jokingly she said ‘Oh maybe you’re pregnant?!‘. Then she turned around and pay the bill ….she didn’t see my face behind her in shock thinking ‘Oh my God…maybe I am pregnant!!!‘.

I didn’t say anything but walked back to work trying to understand if she could be right. I walked back to work with her and came straight back out the door again. I almost ran to the pharmacy to buy a test and sure enough it was positive! Just to be 100% I went to the doctors office – at this point I should probably point out that we lived in a small village so everything is local, close and easy to access. Within an hour I had found out the best news of my life – we were going to have a baby!

I wanted to tell Ross straight away but it’s not the type of news you tell someone over the phone or on Skype. I knew how excited he’d be so when I got back to the office I pinged him and told him I had a surprise for him and I wanted him to get home asap. I went home myself and honestly it felt like minutes were hours. I was thinking ‘Where the hell is he?? he should be home by now‘….tick tock….tick tock….’No seriously where the hell is he?‘….tick tock…..’Ah come on – what the hell can he be doing?‘ and then finally I heard the car pull in.

I was sitting there ready to burst with the news and I can hear him faffing about downstairs….then he swoops in to the room and before I can even look sideways there is a big bunch of flowers in my arms delivered with a big cheeky grin. It caught me a little off guard as I wasn’t entirely sure why he had just thrown a bunch of flowers at me! Then it clicked – this is why he was late but why the hell had he bought me flowers? He actually doesn’t believe in getting flowers (because they die = waste of money)!

I had practised how to say it but everything went out of my head at that moment, then out came “I have a present for you but it won’t be delivered till April…in roughly 9 months‘ and then I sat back waiting for the penny to drop. I watched as Ross was trying to figure out what it meant…..tick tock….and there it was, a massive smile, a big ‘Yeah baby yeah!’ ‘Yee-haw‘. Beautiful & funny.

Proud to link up with….

1. I love this series – it’s great getting both sides of the story. I love how the flowers just added confusion lol
    Thanks for linking up to #AnythingGoes 🙂
    Debbie
    Random Musings would luv you to read…Blogger Spotlight: 2 Travelling TotsMy Profile

Thanks Debbie, so glad you like the series/concept. Thankfully the general feedback has been the same. We have two being written right now and a load of topics to follow, the only trick is how to keep them on the funny side of things! Thanks for commenting. Regards, Ross #AnythingGoes

2. ohmummymia says:

haha it’s so awesome idea to show both perspectives!
    #AnythingGoes

1. The Missus The Missus says:

It’s always amazing to us how aligned we are on most big things but the small things….we might as well be world’s apart

Thank you so much for commenting again, I really appreciate it!! So glad you like the post & the idea. We’re in the middle of writing two new posts with a good few more in the pipeline. Regards, Ross #AnythingGoes

3. wendy says:

I love this!Sp fun reading the story from both perspectives. Lucky you getting the jacket and a baby too 🙂 xx #bigpinklink

Really glad you liked it Wendy. I defo hit the jackpot that day for sure !!! Thanks for reading & commenting, Regards, Ross. #bigpinklink

4. Haha! I’m jealous that flowers work for you, Ross. My Mrs is like: a. What have you done? and b. How much money did you waste on these? Electronics speak to my wife’s heart more….but are a lot more expensive.

#fartglitter
    Mama, My Kid Doesn’t Poop Rainbows would luv you to read…The #FartGlitter Linky: Week Thirty FourMy Profile

Hehe! It’s gas that the default is ‘What have you done?’ just cause you buy flowers. I mean can a man not buy flowers (once or twice a year) without there being something wrong?!!! 🙂 love it!!! My Missus works in IT and absolutely loves her gadgets, but she’s loves her flowers too and to be completely honest, I don’t buy them that often but when I do they always get a big smile! Cheers for commenting & reading, really appreciate it. Regards, Ross.

5. This really made me laugh! Love how the same event can come across as so different from someone else’s point of view!! #bigpinklink

Yeah, it’s gas isn’t it?! But knew before we started this series that would be the case! We hoped it would give people a giggle and thankfully (so far) that’s the feedback we are getting so happy days! Really glad you liked it. Thanks for reading & commenting. Regards, Ross. #bigpinklink

6. Siena Says says:

Ha ha so funny. Loved reading it from both perspectives. My husband is not keen on buying flowers either, so if he did buy them I would be seriously concerned or maybe thinking they were reduced!
    Looking forward to reading more!

#bigpinklink

1. The Missus The Missus says:

Thanks for reading and commenting Siena – really happy you’re enjoying our posts. Re: Flowers – I’ve come to the realisation that I can buy my own flowers and that way I get the ones I really like. Last time I went to Lidl our eldest said ‘Mum, maybe we need some new flowers as our ones are nearly done’ – she gets me so at least I have a flower buddy. #bigpinklink

7. Lololol!!! Another brilliant one! I loved that you included the part about your wife getting you the jacket, and she didn’t mention that at all in her story!!!! And I’m very glad you had your pre-baby priorities sorted-drinking, fun, spending lots of money, drinking, and more drinking!! I’m also with you on your flowers philosophy, I’m not keen on them because of the whole dead-in-a-couple-of-days thing!! Although hilarious, it was still very sweet and touching to find out how you found out about the baby! I think this series will be very successful!!
    #bigpinklink
    This Mum’s Life would luv you to read…The Five Times Karma Has Bitten Me HardMy Profile

1. The Missus The Missus says:

Thanks a million – we’re really glad you are liking the series. We figured other couples might just be able to relate to some of the stuff we go through. We definitely had our pre-baby priorities straight – it’s fair to say that we lived life to the fullest….which I guess we still do albeit in a very different way ;o) #bigpinklink

8. So so true how we see things completely different. Mars/Venus and all that!! Very sweet story though. #bigpinklink

Thanks so much Anna. Yep, we are very much from different planets !!! Thanks for reading & commenting. Cheers, Ross #bigpinklink

9. yvonne says:

This is such a fun idea, I am sure that my hubby recollection of things differs hugely to mine lol! #fartglitter

Thank you Yvonne! Yeah, as it turns out, my memory (& explanation) differs quite a bit from the Missus so I’m delighted to find out that I’m not alone haha!! Thanks for reading & commenting. Ross #fartglitter

2. The Missus The Missus says:

Yvonne I really am shocked at times how differently we see things. Ross and I always thought we were fairly similar but it’s amazing how different our approaches / reactions / recollections are ;o)

10. Haha this is genius!
    Great to hear both sides and love the quick dash to the shops for flowers (to keep you out of the doghouse) 🙂

Thanks so much for joining in with #MMBC! Really hope you can make it next week!

High praise, I love it !!!!! So glad you enjoyed it. The fact that we include both sides has been a big hit (thankfully), it’s funny how men & women differ!! Yeah the flowers really were a ‘get me out of jail’ surprise, but it worked!!! Massive thanks for sharing it via twitter too, nice one! I’ll make it next week for sure. Many thanks, Ross. #MMBC

11. OddHogg says:

I love this – both sides of the story are good! Typical man instantly getting gift guilt though! #fartglitter

Haha, the guilt was big, not gonna lie! It was the ‘duck under water’ situation, groovy on the outside, flapping under the water! ‘Yeah, I’m be home in a tick’ where in reality I was think, Bollox, get a present fast!. Thanks for reading/commenting. Ross. #fartglitter

12. James Hopes says:

Pretty life changing moment right there!! Pretty much the best gift you could get is finding out you’re having a little one, and it doesn’t even cost anything
    James Hopes would luv you to read…YouMy Profile

Sorry for the delay James, time is just flying by!! You’ve hit the nail on the head there buddy, on a number of fronts. It’s just the best feeling on this earth and one that lives with you forever. Thanks for popping by & commenting, Ross.

13. I loved this story and it is fab to have it from both perspectives. I will definitely be back to read more! #FartGlitter

Wow, you read that super fast after I added it to #fartglitter this morning, thank you so much!! Really glad you liked the story and the fact that we both add our 2 cents. I would have zero objections if you decided to share it also (hehe!). Thanks again & I look forward to seeing you back to read more. Regards, Ross. #fartglitter