I’m delighted to take part in ‘The Daddy Tag Challenge #The DaddyTag’. This is the brain child of the brilliant Frenchie Mummy and when asked to take part, I said absolutely!
For the bloggers I’m asked to nominate afterwards, you need to follow the rules so to have a lookski, see #TheDaddyTag page from The Frenchie Mummy before you start yours.
Ok so, let’s do this – saddle me up and call me Shergar:
- Are you a Stay at Home Daddy or a Working Daddy? I’m a SAHD since February this year. Prior to that I was working with a deadly Irish tech company called Pubble – check them out!
- Would you have it any other way? Na-agh. And I absolutely loved my job 100%. But there is no ‘job’ like the one I have right now. I’m feckin wrecked but man, am I happy.
- Do you co-change dirty nappies? Even the very smelly ones? Hell yeah!! Sure I only posted a blog called ‘Dadda VS Poop‘ recently which recorded my very first dirty nappy change (no poo is visible BTW!). It took me feckin ages to get use to the bang of it (& the nappy bin) but 4 years & 2 daughters later, I am extremely comfortable with poo irrespective of how ‘crappy’ that sounds 🙂
- A little fairy gives you the possibility of breastfeeding? Are you going for it or do you run away? (Excuse my F’ing French here but…) Run the F-U-C-K away man….. no seriously, run, now!!!!! Just to be clear, I’ve zero quams against breastfeeding and in particular breastfeeding in public. There is noting more natural in the world imo. Further to this, I’ve seen how beautiful the connection is between The Missus & our new born(s) and it was a picture of natural beauty. But Jayzsus Christ, my nipples are seriously not designed to be destroyed, nawned at, pinched, bit, blocked ducts and did I say bit? All I’ll say is.. cracked nipples & breast shields = not for me dude.
- What is the one must-have item for a daddy? My initial answer is my girls. But they are not ‘items’! So it has be to wine 🙂 We all need that I think. In all seriousness, my real answer is a bag. That’s right, a feckin ‘Man-Bag’. Well, to be absolutely correct, it’s a ‘Daddy-Bag’ yeah!!!! Ya know, with nappies, wipes, nappy bags, change of clothes for when she messes herself up and of course food. The buggy is pretty handy too btw.
- How many kids do you plan on having? We are so so happy with our 2 amazing girls, we are so lucky to have them to enrich our lives. If we are blessed to have a third at some day in the future, I think I’d have to get me pipes welded at that stage 🙂
- Lads’ nights? How often do you have them? Weddings, Funerals, and the very odd night. Sounds sad but the reality is most live in different locations around Dublin & Ireland, some have kids and some don’t. Arranging a get together with all is tougher than I’d ever imagined pre-kids. Laziness and more to the point, tiredness also plays a part. Am I happy with it? Hell no. Will I use this Q&A as a catalyst to arrange a lads night out (& blog about it?) Hell Yeah!!!
- Your children’s favourite achievement? Watching Nip #1 win a race at her creche’s sports day. I go running with my girls and to watch her win a race was pretty cool. Ok, Ok, I know – it’s not the winning that counts, it’s the taking part – but feck it, my girl won and that rocks! For Nip#2, it’s just watching her find herself, which she’s flying at.
- What is your best memory with your kid(s)? Has to be becoming a dad for the 1st time. It’s the game changer isn’t it? The feelings you experience at the time are just phenomenonal and are unique. Second to that was becoming a dad for the 2nd time and introducing Nip#1 to her new baby sister Nip#2 was so special. These are stand out memories that massage your sole.
- Name one thing you miss since being a daddy? Honestly? It has to be weekend drinking & watching a rugby or football game from start to finish. Also, being able to just cabbage on the couch the following day eating shite to recover flicking from station to station. Agh the bliss!
- Weight gain, before pregnancy, during, after and now? And we mean YOU DADDY, not the mummy! No probs admitting this but hell yeah, I put on a shit load of weight while The Missus was preggers – both times. Neddy -Kellies, double chins, the lot. A conversation might have gone something like this .. ‘Sorry hunny, what’s that? You want another pizza?? (for the 3rd day in a row??!!)‘ – (me thinking now…..’Well, who am I to tell a pregnant woman what not to eat?‘) – ‘Agh sure lookit, go-on-so, I guess I’ll just have to ‘force’ another one into me so, but this is the absolute last one OK?‘ !!!!! – Fat Boy Daddy, that was me and ya know what, I loved it so stick that in your pipe & smoke it skinny Daddy Ross 🙂 Nom nom nommmms.
- Dream holiday with your kids? Taking a cruise on the River Shannon. It’s in Ireland. The River Shannon is the longest internal river in the whole on the UK & Ireland. It is just spectacular. If you have never been on the river, I would highly recommend it. You will absolutely love it – it is the complete chill & switch off. Not to mention all the amazing things your kids will learn about the river/ swimming / respect of water / nature / emerging into local communities & culture just to mention a few things. Outside of that and when they get a bit older, Florida I think – Universal Studies & Disney World would have to be at the top of the lists.
- Dream holiday without your kids or even without the other half? (You’re allowed to dream). Jayzus, you’ve opened Pandora’s box here!! (a) With The Missus minus the nips – We both love Formula 1 so I think I’d wrap an F1 weekend into a 3/4 week round trip to Malaysia / Singapore / Bali / Australia and take in all the amazing & beautiful sites those countries have to offer. The full chill with the F1 sandwiched into it = heaven (babysitters anyone?!) & (b) Me without the kids OR The Missus? – Are ya mad asking that question off a Dad where he can expect the answers doing the rounds on social media? !!! Holy Shit, I’ve be divorced before we even get married haha :-)…… Butlins – defo Butlins 🙂
- How has your life changed since having kids? This could be a post all by itself so I’ll keep it short & sweet – ‘I have not just become a father, I’ve become a man. A man with purpose, drive, focus, determination and unconditional love for my family’
- Finish the sentence “It makes my heart melt when” … I see our eldest daughter playing with / laughing with / looking out for / getting toys for / telling stories to her baby sister. They get on so well. There has been zero jealousy from Nip#1 towards Nip#2 in any way shape or form since day 1. It has been and is just a beautiful thing to watch & it literally melts me.
- Favourite beers brands and football team? When out, I’m a Guinness man. Love the stuff. As the saying goes, ‘Guinness is good for you’ and that my friends is a fact. Beers – Smithwicks (with a drop of red lemonade or with a Guinness head) is beautiful, it’s like angels dancing on your tongue. Lager – I’m not a massive lager drinker but have recently found Perlenbacher which you can get from Lidl for peanuts and it’s seriously tasty stuff. At home, I’m a wine fan and I don’t discriminate! Red is Cabernet Sauvignon while white is Sauvignon Blanc. Having said all that, I don’t really like drink (hummm). Football? I’m a life long Everton football fan – long suffering that is but I love them.
- Huggies or Pampers? Neither – Tour Jours from Lidl actually. They keep our daughters dryer than Pampers ever did so we’ve stuck with them till this day. Easier on the pocket too, win-win.
- Have you always wanted kids? Since day one. Now I’m delighted to say I’ve two.
- Best part of being a dad? Laughing with them, having fun with them, being there for them, being responsible for them, loving them, teaching them, learning from them, listening to them, running with them, losing your mind with them, becoming a child all over again because of them.
Pheeewwww! Done & dusted – happy days !!!! So, as required, I’d like to nominate the following Daddy bloggers to take part (website / twitter handle) :
Over to you buckos 🙂
To The Frenchie Mummy – many thanks. To everyone else, really hope you enjoy!
Proud to link up with….