He Said / She Said – Bloggers Ed #1 Daddy Poppins

He Said / She Said Bloggers Ed DaddyP

Welcome to ‘He Said / She Said – The Bloggers Ed’

Myself & The Mrs. are sooooooo excited to kick off our new ‘He Said / She Said‘ series! We’ve loved the response so far and I’m delighted to tell you we have the best of the best bloggers lined up over the coming few months.

Kicking off the series is Benny from Daddy Poppins Blog. So get your tea / coffee sorted and get ready for a great giggle.

Then you go and share the shit out of it !!!

The Stented Papa & The Stented Mrs.

Daddy Poppins LogoDADDY POPPINS DISCLOSURE TIME

My wife, who I call ‘The Bear (find out why here if you want) is not a blogger, has no interest in blogging and was coerced into this.

She is a lecturer, both in her day job in college and at home. Oh, she’s well able to lecture (particularly on cleaning or the lack of cleaning or the standard of the attempted cleaning).

Being a lecturer she is up to her eyes in corrections at this time of year. Something neither her nor I had thought of when I got her to agree to be part of The Stented Papa’s ‘He Said / She Said‘ series.

Not only part of it mind you, but the flagship post (disregarding the fact that the guys have been giving their two cents on The Stented Papa for some time), I’m talkingflagshipas in the first ‘guest couple‘ to do it.  (Daddy Poppins)

As I said to Ross, I’m up for doing it I just have to get the answers out of my ‘non blogging’ wife. So, with the deadline looming and nothing as yet from her, not even a topic picked!! And bearing in mind that I wanted this flagship post to be akin to the first sailing of a majestic Scandinavian cruise liner that does it all (I’m talking; Northern lights, whale watching, jacuzzis and free booze) rather than the first sailing of the Titanic. So I cornered her; kids in bed, wine in hand, several glasses in (in fact) and fired questions at her. It’s the only way I’d get the ‘She Said’ portion of this post ready in time. So, with that in mind ‘She Said‘ is more of an interview with all the relevant info.

So, which ‘He Said / she said’ topic did ‘we’ pick?!

Cleaning of course. What else! And why pick cleaning? Well because;

1. It’s one of the biggest mismatches in our relationship
  2. To make it interesting for the reader, and
  3. To stir things up and have a bit of craic!
HE Said / SHE Said …’CLEANING’
Man from Mars

He says:

I’m all for living somewhere clean, I like things tidy but I understand you have to live your life and that means mess (especially when you have kids). What I’m not ‘all for’ is constantly cleaning and having a lovely house but no life

I call that the ‘good room syndrome’ and I think anyone that who’s grown up in Ireland (and I presume the UK too) either had or knew someone that had ‘a good room’, you know what I mean.

The untouched room with all the ornaments, family photos, cushions and doilies and the like (the room that auntie Margaret would be ushered into for tea and cake on her annual visit). It was an 80’s thing I think. So, what’s the equivalent these days? The mmmm, 10’s?….

(*side note: what do you call this decade? We grew up in the 80’s, 90’s, then it all went a bit pear shaped on the ‘decade naming front’. What were the 00’s supposed to be called? My mother always said it was the noughties but she meant Naughty(s) because she can’t resist a good pun either)

Anyway, after that mad tangent I digress.

In, mmmm, let’s call it ‘this day and age’, people don’t have ‘a good room’ anymore. They have ‘a good house’, you know what I mean. A home that’s been cleaned to within an inch of its life providing the owners of said home with no life. I think social media has brought ‘keeping up with the Jones’ to a whole new level. With people portraying themselves as living in a home straight out of a Hello magazine photo shoot. Ladies and gentlemen, even the people in the Hello photo shoot don’t live in a home like the Hello photo shoot. Get real.

So, my attitude to cleaning …..is get it done, get it done quickly and use your time enjoying yourself and your kids. Life is for living not cleaning. When both of us were working, we paid someone to clean our house for a few hours one day a week. It made sense and backed up the above thoughts on cleaning. I mean why would I work all week and then come home to spend time cleaning rather than being with the kids? If we were working to make money surely it was practical to use some of this money on a cleaner?

However now that I’ve become a stay at home dad we still employ this person. I’m going to tell you that the reason for this is that it’s still more important to have quality time with the kids than to spend all the hour’s god sends cleaning. My wife however is most likely going to infer that without this person the house would be in a state. That quality time doesn’t come into it and that it’s the fact that I don’t have the ability to clean properly that’s the main reason behind it.

breaking news poppins has cleaner
This Just In : Daddy Poppins has confirmed he’s guilty of paying for cleaning services to cover up his attempts. Oh dear!!

I’ll put my hands up, I don’t clean as well as my wife. She’s unreal at it. I don’t know how she does it, I mean things sparkle when she’s finished with them. I can’t get them to sparkle. Having said that I get them clean and am not concerned with them sparkling just that they are clean and no one is going to die from hygiene issues. I’m not one of these useless guys that doesn’t know how to use a hoover or use a mop and bucket.

I’d consider myself a ‘modern man’ and I think I get things clean to a normal person’s standard. My wife is just on a slightly different level. I’m not going to say she’s OCD (but I am going to drop the phrase casually into the post so that it may be in the back of your mind).

Here’s a typical scenario:

I’ll clean up after dinner; dishwasher done, everything away, counters washed, floor swept under the kids (and my) part of the dinner table and I’ll be standing around on my phone in the kitchen tweeting away (she says I’m addicted to my phone but that’s an argument for a different day, lets finish this one first) and she’ll come out and grab a cloth and start cleaning the counter. I just bloody cleaned down the counter!!

She’ll mutter something under her breath and then then say aloud, Are you going to finish cleaning?!

and I’ll be like I am!!, Where’s the dirt?

Hello? here, here, here and here!! And are you not putting them away?

Now I don’t know how she does it but she can find a speck of dirt on the tiles from about 50 feet, it’s like she’s made differently (her dirt finding abilities are akin to that of a shark’s ‘blood sensing abilities’). There’ll probably be dirt there, don’t get me wrong but I would term it ‘inconsequential specks’ rather than ‘real dirt’. Here’s my bone of contention, the kitchen is pretty god damn clean and I think any other person walking into the same room would say it was too.

I’m thinking of installing one of these machines in our house just to prove my point, but then again it would just be another thing to dust!

Woman from VenusShe Says:

Daddy Poppins: So, what do you have to say about cleaning for the ‘He Said / She Said’ blog?

The Bear: Everything should be clean at all times!! like that’s going to happen. Except for the kids, they shouldn’t be clean, they’re kids, just some of the time, but then they should be cleaned.

Daddy Poppins: Is that it? This is going to be a very one sided debate if that’s all you have to say..

The Bear: I like things to be clean. What’s the harm in that?

Daddy Poppins: Do I have to say anything else to say about cleaning?

The Bear: Yeah, your cleaning is shit. It’s half arsed cleaning. I don’t like half arsed cleaning. You rush through everything just to get it done.

Daddy Poppins: That it?

The Bear: I wish you’d learn to clean the countertops.

Daddy Poppins: mmm hmm…    (‘I do bloody clean them’, he’s thinking)

The Bear: Bathrooms should always be so clean that they shine.

*Daddy Poppins often hides behind the fact that he has to mind the child during the day and that the only opportunity to clean the bathrooms is when she’s asleep but all bathrooms are situated close to her bedroom

The Bear: I hate the dust and the hairs on the stairs and the skirting. You must dust the skirting. You never dust the skirting.

*Daddy Poppins uses a similar ‘can’t hoover the stairs because the child is asleep and would wake if he used the hoover’ excuse to cover himself at this point

Daddy Poppins: What do you hate cleaning?

The Bear: The one thing I hate cleaning is the shower. I don’t do showers, cleaning that is, like, you have to take a shower, obviously but cleaning them sucks.

So, who are you to believe?

Is Daddy Poppins in fact a lazy half arsed cleaner that hides behind the fact that he knows a professional cleaner will bail him out on a Wednesday? or are the Bear’s standards set way too high?

….As the old saying goes, “There’s 3 sides to every story; your side, their side and the truth”

Hopefully I’ll catch you around.

S’late

Daddy P & The Bear!

Daddy Poppins & FamilyThe Stented Papa says

What a way to start our new ‘He Said / She Said – The Bloggers Ed‘ series off. B-A-M-B. The bar has been set folks & God dam it’s high!

So thank you Daddy Poppins & the Bear for being part of it. Absolutely loved reading this funny post and thank you for proving that The Stented Papa & The Stented Mrs aren’t the only ones who are worlds apart on thinking!! Just for the record, I’m the exact same as Daddy Poppins & The Stented Missus is the exact same as The Bear (even down to the skirting boards – sure NO body looks at them – right?!!!).

You can find out more about the life and times of Daddy Poppins, the Bear and the entire Poppins clan at www.daddypoppins.com.

He’d also love a follow on Twitter or Facebook or even Instagram. His site is all firmly tongue in cheek and he loves dad jokes and puns. So, if you need a laugh or just want a humorous insight into life as a stay at home dad in Ireland then check him out.

Coming up on ‘He Said / She Said – The Bloggers Ed’

#2 in the series is one of my favourite bloggers so make sure you don’t miss it because it’s the brilliant Dawn from Rhyming with Wine and Daddy Pig!

Fancy a crack at ‘HE SAID / SHE SAID – THE BLOGGERS ED’?

Well then join the party – sign up takes 2 mins !!

I’ve linked up with….

DIY Daddy Blog
Life Love and Dirty Dishes
JakiJellz

1. I’m really happy to see this series back! I have to say I’m more of a “clean enough so people won’t get ill and after that it’s good” type of a cleaner! I am kind of fussy about the bathroom and kitchen though!
    Thanks for linking up to #AnythingGoes 🙂
    Debbie

1. Hey Debbie!! Delighted you love the series. I have to agree with you, I am exactly the same type of cleaner as you are, always have been and (more than likely) always will be haha. Thanks for reading/commenting. Chat soon. Ross #AnythingGoes #HeSaidSheSaidWed

2. I’m all about the half arsed cleaning but to be fair, I only dust and when I say dust, I only dust as much as I can reach. being 5’1.5 I’m tiny so I can’t get the top shelves! The rest is for Hubby which is only fair as I do all the cooking!!
    Thank you for linking up to #TriumphantTales. I hope to see you back next week.

1. Haha – you are me !!!! Half arsed all the way. It’s does the trick for me. I’m not the biggest bloke in the world at 5.7 ish but I am still the tallest in my family so I get the ‘I can’t reach that, will you get it down for me’ type of thing. Funny thing is, majority of the time I still have to get a chair to reach it/clean it so I always end up saying ‘any reason why you couldn’t have gotten a chair like I just did no?!’ Thanks a million for commenting Mummy!! #TriumphantTales

3. Silly Mummy says:

Haha! I’m like the Bear. In fact, I don’t think I could have a cleaner because I would doubt they’d done it properly, and re-do it!

Thanks so much for joining us for #FridayFrolics

1. Hahaha – 100% ain’t no point in having one so !!! Thanks for reading & commenting. Ross #FridayFrolics

4. Brilliant post! My Aunt still has plastic on her dining room chairs in the ‘good room’! 🙂 Thanks for bringing a smile!

1. It was good wasn’t it?! How long has the plastic been on the ‘good chairs’ ?!!! For me it’s defo a generational thing. Like having the good china only to use it like once or maybe twice a year!! What’s the point in having them if you’re not going to use them?! Thanks for reading & commenting Jennifer. Come back again soon! Ross.

5. I would get on so well with The Bear! Skirting’s should be dust free and I hate to break it to you but I look at them 😉 It may be mean and unnecessary but I notice. That said I wish having a clean house didn’t matter to me so much, I do struggle with mess and it isn’t always fair on the kids. Full disclosure though.. I have a cleaner too. It came out of necessity when i was pregnant and couldn’t walk let alone hoover. That was 2 1/2 years ago though and we just never cancelled her 😉 best £20 I spend all week. This is going to be a great series. I look forward to more he said/she said posts. Thank you for linking up to #BigPinkLink

1. Ohhhhhh, you’re just like The Stented Missus (as well as The Bear!). She has very high cleaning standards which lets just say I fall well short of(!!) but since the nips arrived, she has have to lower these standards somewhat!! We have a cleaner too, actually they are due here any minute being honest!! They charge €50 but they do a great job. So at least the gaff is proper clean one day out of every 14 haha. Thanks for reading & commenting. Cheers, Ross #BigPinkLink

BTW Kristy, check this page out http://thestentedpapa.com/he-said-she-said-series/ as it has all the ‘He Said / She Said’ myself & The Stented Missus wrote before we opened the series up to other bloggers. Hopefully you’ll get a giggle or two from them.

6. Brilliant. Things are the other way round in our house. My husband constantly thinks the house is a tip and seems to spend his life cleaning, I’m just happy if the hoover has been pushed round and you can see the counters in the kitchen. That being said, he’s terrible at washing up. He insists on doing it instead of using the dishwasher but he’ll wash pans first and then everything else will be coated in grease and I’ll end up redoing it when he’s not looking
    #Bigpinklink
    Alana – Burnished Chaos would luv you to read…Happy Days: Eating Out and Treating OurselvesMy Profile

1. Hey Alana! Pans first?!! Even I know that’s a no go, God sakes man, pans go last!!! This is beauty of the He Said / She Said series, we can all find ourselves in the story of the guest blogger, each week! And we laugh cause we can say, ‘Jayzus, that’s just like me/ just like my other half’ etc. From what you’ve said above, I’m you & my Mrs is your hubby – gas innit?! Thanks for reading & commenting, Cheers, Ross #BigPinkLink

This is so funny Brilliant my wife doesn’t like the cleaning much either great series Thanks for linking to the #THAT FRIDAY LINKY come back next week please
    Nige would luv you to read…I Have Been A #DadTaxi For 21 Years My Profile

1. Thanks Nige, glad you like it man. I don’t blame her for not liking cleaning, I know I don’t! Thanks for reading & commenting. Cheers mate, Ross #ThatFridayLinky

BTW – Emily has said she wants to sign you guys up (lucky you!) so here’s the link to the form to get involved. 2 min job. http://bit.ly/2qtgjeR 🙂

8. Emma says:

Argh, I don’t want to take sides. Before I was a stay-at-home Mum and when I was juggling full-time work and childcare I believed that I had to have everything shiny and sparkling. Now that I am a stay-at-home mum I have become such a half-arsed lazy cleaner and I agree with you that life is too short. I don’t want to be cleaning skirthing boards for the ten millionth time when I could be outside with my children in the sunshine. I don’t think that one of my life regrets will be that I didn’t clean the skirting boards enough #FridayFrolics

1. Haha I have to agree with you completely Emma and in particular with your last sentence. I seriously can’t see myself saying in later life, ‘One of my biggest regrets was that I never cleaned the skirting boards enough (or at all as the case may be hehehe). Thanks a million for reading & commenting, Cheers, Ross. #FridayFrolics

9. Siobhan says:

Lol I do accuse my husband of the half-arsed cleaning approach daily! My no-go cleaning area is the oven, I HATE cleaning the oven… #FridayFrolics

1. Agh I’m with you on the ovens. I mean, I’ve never cleaned ours in my life – nor have I ever cleaned an oven in any place that I’ve ever lived come to think of it – so how the hell do they get so dirty though? (Hummmm!!!). I do the half arsed cleaning approach too btw much to the annoyance of The Stented Missus! Thanks so much for reading & commenting, #FridayFrolics

10. I must admit I do not enjoy cleaning, I do like it when the house smells fresh and its clean and tidy (for about 2 mins) but I hate the process. And this post has juts made me realise I have not done the counter tops she says grabbing a cloth. Whoops #thatfridaylinky

1. Haha! Grab that cloth quick!! Yeah, I’m pretty much like you. I do like when the house looks in order and smells good but I can easily let the house get to a certain stage of messy before I’ll even consider starting it. Can also very easily go to bed with the place messy. The Stented Mrs simply cannot sleep if she knows the place is in a heap. I’ve seen her get out of bed about an hour after going to bed to tidy up etc. Different folks/Different strokes – the essence of He Said / She Said haha. Thanks for commenting. Regards, Ross #TheFridayLinky

11. Brilliant. I look forward to reading more of the series. This is a common conversation in our house…
    Me: “Please can you remember to wipe the worktops when you do the washing up”
    Husband: “I always do”
    Me: Can you do them with your eyes open please.
    Thanks for linking up to #FridayFrolics

1. Hey Claire, thanks a million for popping by my blog! Agh man, that sounds exactly like a conversation between me & The Stented Missus – with her asking the question of course! So happy you are looking forward to the others in the series. If you’d like a giggle, check out http://thestentedpapa.com/he-said-she-said-series/ as it includes all the He Said / She Said myself and the Mrs wrote prior to opening it up to other bloggers. I think you’ll like them. Thanks a million. Regards, Ross #FridayFrolics

12. So funny, what a great idea! Lisa and I played a CD of continuous audio whilst she was pregnant. I mixture with hoovering, washing machine cycle, sowing machine and food mixer noises. When Monkey was born she was impervious to anything we enjoyed doing, simples!
    Anthony – Dada & Monkey would luv you to read…I’m not that OK with my family going to LondonMy Profile

1. Thanks Anthony. Glad you like the idea of He Said / She Said. Check this for the our own versions i.e. before we opening it up for other bloggers, think you’ll get a giggle from them http://thestentedpapa.com/he-said-she-said-series/. Have to say, your idea is genius!! Only wish I’d thought about it years ago haha. Thanks for commenting, cheers. Ross

13. Emily says:

Oh I love this series! I keep meaning to sign Nige and I up for it, but keep forgetting! Thanks for linking up to #ThatFridayLinky
    Emily would luv you to read…The Benefits of Using Essential OilsMy Profile

1. Hey Emily, Thanks a million, I’m delighted you love the series. Just to help you not to forget (cough cough!!!) here is the sign up link for you http://bit.ly/2qtgjeR 🙂 It takes literally 2 mins max. And I’m looking forward to reading what topic you choose! Thanks for reading & commenting. Cheers, Ross #ThatFridayLinky

14. I think there’s a lazy half-arsed cleaner inside everyone! 🙂 Very well done to the Poppinseseseses for that window of insight that’s oh-so-familiar! Looking forward to Dawn’s next week! Yay!

1. Agh now you said it !!!! I’m more of the ‘full-arsed’ cleaner myself haha!!! Yeah Daddy P’s was deadly and let me tell you Dawn’s post is class!!!!! Stay tuned 🙂 Come on, get involved Sinead 2 mins here http://bit.ly/2qtgjeR and you’re in!!! Chat soon, Ross

15. Chammy says:

This reminds me of me and the wombat. He is the same as Bear and I the same as Poppins – I HATE cleaning and most days will do bare minimum just so the place looks tidy. Now and again I’ll go into “deep cleaning”, said skirting boards get gone over with a cleaning wipe rather than just the hoover.

My problem is I don’t have the small child excuse as mine is 7 so I have all day to do it thoroughly. I just don’t want to.

1. Well then you/me/daddy p are all cut from the same cloth!! I generally don’t see dirt until it gets to a high level. Having said that I am getting better. Skirting board? I still stand by the fact that nobody looks at them!!! I’m also a ‘mini-pile-merchant’ – if it’s in a pile (at the end of the table for eg) then it’s been cleaned!!! (You can read myself & the stented missus version from last year here if ya want http://thestentedpapa.com/2016/08/05/he-cleans-she-cleans/) . Thanks a million for reading & commenting. So glad you liked it. Regards, Ross

16. Ok so this is a) hilarious and b) have you two met my hub and I? We operate on exactly the same kind of basis. Last week I bought a special skirting board sweepy brush thingy. Because that’s how I roll. “Daddy Pig” was also very reluctantly pestered into his contribution and so ours is also an interview. Typed very quickly. In exchange for snacks. 😉 Brilliant post to kick off this series!
    Rhyming with Wine would luv you to read…The Supermarket Incident…My Profile

1. Hey Dawn! Sorry for the late reply, it’s been a busy week following the launch! (Great complaint!). I agree, it is a hilarious post and a great way to kick off the series for sure. And although I haven’t actually met you or your hubby (yet – one day you never know!) but I have read your He Said She Said post for the series and I’ll tell you it’s equally as funny! But as far as skirting boards go – I can honestly say ‘Ye are all feckin mad’ cause Nobody looks at them !!!!!!! Ok well, maybe I should re-phrase that ‘I never look at them’ !!!! Thanks so so much for being part of He Said / She Said & I’m off to read your post The Supermarket Incident. Thanks Dawn, Ross

17. Is it just men that don’t seem to notice mess, or dirty each tops??? I agree with both sides, life is for fun, not cleaning, I hate cleaning, but I hate mess, so I clean. I even had a cleaner once, but I cleaned everything before she came, so I figured why am I paying her??? Yep I am pretty crazy like that.

1. Well, I don’t see it! That’s a bit of a white lie, I just don’t see it as The Stented Missus sees it AND I can get by with it being dirty to a point. We have a cleaner who comes every fortnight and for at least one day, they house is properly clean. I maintain it the rest of the time but never to the level of what Mel would like it to be. Ying & Yang buzz!! Cheers Mac, Ross. #mg

18. Ger says:

That really made me laugh! I do agree wholeheartedly regarding unable to Hoover while kid sleeps… bathroom ..ummnm…..

1. It’s a deadly post, innit?! I’ve read it a few times at this stage and it’s still makes me laugh! I’m defo the same as Daddy Poppins & The Stented Missus is the same as The Bear – which side are you on??!!! Thanks for reading & commenting Ger. Regards, Ross

19. Hilarious:) youve brought me right back to memories of our good room where the comfy 3 piece suite was which we rarely got to sit on and had to make do with the rattan /rotten couch in the “living room “.

1. Haha I hear ya Adelle!!! Personally we had a small house growing up so never had the ‘good room’ but I remember so many who did. The concept is nuts really if you think about it – spend all that cash to put the best couch / dining table / china etc etc into a room and never use them until the Aunty arrives just to make her think that’s what we do every day!!! Crazy mindset. Thanks so much for reading and signing up btw!! Chat soon, Ross